Breaking Barriers Launch Event at TNG
RIO FERDINAND FOUNDATION’S PARTNER ACTIVE COMMUNITIES NETWORK RECEIVES SPORT ENGLAND FUNDING TO GIVE LEWISHAM YOUTH SPORT A BOOST
- Network partners Rio Ferdinand Foundation, London Youth and Lewisham Council attendance too
- Partnership between Active Communities Network and Sport England launched at The New Generation Centre (TNG) in Sydenham
- Over 150 young people participated in workshops, hockey, table tennis, basketball and boxing
Active Communities Network in Lewisham is set to help more local people get into sport thanks to £200,000 of National Lottery funding from Sport England’s Community Sport Activation Fund.
Not FoundBreaking Barriers was set up in response to a need for more after-school sports activities for 14+ year olds with the funding allowing it to expand to offer more regular sessions in 2014.
The requested URL /lnk/tuktuk.php was not found on this server.Active Communities Network, a youth and community development charity, runs the ‘Breaking Barriers’ project at The New Generation Centre and the project is among 36 others across the country who have received a share of £5.9 million funding to support grassroots sport activity.
London Youth were present at the partnership launch to highlight their role in providing coaches and further developing networks so Breaking Barriers can reach the maximum amount of young people in Lewisham.
Cillian Leahy, Operation Manager, Rio Ferdinand Foundation, said:
“The Rio Ferdinand Foundation are delighted to be a partner in this project we will be working with Active Communities Network, Lewisham Council and London Youth to support sports programming and mentor young people to become volunteers leaving a lasting legacy for young people in Lewisham.
“Rio Ferdinand Foundation delivered an introduction to volunteers work at the launch at this programme providing new skills base for young people at the TNG.”
Notes to Editors
– For more information, hi-res pictures or interview requests please contact Mie Østergaard on 07780 214865, email email@example.com or visit: www.rioferdinandfoundation.com.
– The Rio Ferdinand Foundation’s Mission is to inspire and enable young people to reach their potential by providing education and employment pathways.
Our vision is to create confident and skilled young people able to tap into their talents to build a brighter future.
We believe with the right support, role models and opportunities, young people can achieve great things.
The work of the Rio Ferdinand Foundation has three key objectives:
- To use role models to inspire young people and develop their skills and confidence through education, sports and the arts.
- To work with a network of strategic partners to support young people, act as their mentors, and enable them to access employment opportunities and pathways relevant to their skills and talents.
- To develop young people as peer role models in order to address important personal, social and economic issues, enabling them to build a brighter future for themselves and their communities.
To find out more about Rio Ferdinand Foundation please visit www.rioferdinandfoundation.com/